Wednesday, November 9, 2016

My Apology Letter to America



Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
My fellow Americans,

I am very sorry.  To the people in the United States and elsewhere with beautiful brown skin that are now facing more and uglier discrimination than ever, I’m so sorry. To the Muslim people who live here in fear of hatred, I’m sorry. To the white-looking citizens who speak with a foreign accent and are ridiculed by the ignorant, I’m sorry.  To the families that may lose their healthcare because a few who can afford everything refuse to help the many who can afford nothing, I’m sorry. 

To the LGBTQ youth who consider, or god forbid, commit suicide because the progress we’ve made may soon be erased, I’m so terribly sorry.   To the rape victims who may be assaulted because we choose leaders who laugh at the very idea of consent, I’m sorry.  To the pregnant teen who must choose between raising a child while still a child, or giving up that child because the doors have been locked to other choices, I shed tears for you and your baby. To the innocents who will die from the bullets of automatic weaponry that shouldn’t be allowed in civilian hands, I beg your families’ forgiveness.  And to the little girl who gives up her dream of becoming President of the United States, not because she doubts her abilities, but because she doubts that her country would ever elect her, I’m truly sorry.

And for the folks celebrating today I’m also incredibly sorry.  I’m sorry that no one has shown you what great actually is. I’m sorry that your view of this country is so pessimistic or limited that you didn’t already see how great we are in so many ways.  I’m sorry that your mentors failed you by not teaching you that kindness and compassion and diversity are the greatest and most valuable aspects of humanity and religion.


Photo courtesy of jclk888 at Pixabay.com

I’m so deeply sorry.  I should have done more… I should have knocked on doors or written another blog or commented on more nonfactual posts and memes on social media.  I should have done more phone surveys or attended a rally or two.  I should have had more conversations in the break room at work or put a bumper sticker on my car or something!  Because now I can’t believe how sorry I am that I didn’t do more.

My heart is broken.  My patriotism is shattered…  Right is wrong. Wrong is right.  Now all I can do is apologize and seek the light.   




(Feel free to share.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting! Follow me on Twitter @genclever