Thursday, January 15, 2015

4 Random Things I Miss



1)  Notebook Paper:   Uh-oh pop quiz!  Can I borrow a sheet of paper?  That 3 ring binder double click at the desk behind you just saved the day.  How many sheets of paper do I owe to my dear old high school classmates anyway?  I miss handwritten notes and letters indeed.  Not to mention paper airplanes, fortune tellers, and tiny triangular paper footballs...  Notebook paper has what texting lacks.

2)  Incandescent Light Bulbs:  I'm green, I swear!  I understand the wonderful benefits of curly fry light bulbs and LED's I do.  But try those in an old school vanity bar and you'll swear you're having an alien encounter.


3)  Telephone Mystique:  I miss the days when I had no caller ID or Contacts List in my phone.  The phone would ring and I would haphazardly decide whether or not to answer.  Who's behind curtain number 3?  It could be anyone from my mother to a telemarketer.  Or perhaps even a telemarketer calling for my mother...  Who knows?  I sometimes wish I didn't.

4)  The Video Store!  Prepare yourself.  We are going to go to the video store!  This was not a disc dispensing automated ATM transaction.  This is an outing.  I miss the generically categorized boxes standing on shelves in stores decorated with cheesy Hollywood-ish carpet and cutouts.  I miss the browse, the find, the desperate hope that the new release you missed in the theater and isn't on the shelf, has just been returned and is waiting for you at the counter up front.  The production values of the movies were made glaringly obvious by the front cover of the box or the rental price.  And let us not forget the beloved FIVE DAY RENTAL!!!  You can spend quality time with this movie.  You can memorize the lines.  You can loan this rental to your best friend who will most certainly return it for you, on time.  To the clock I say 'be kind, rewind'.  Why does all the good stuff go away?  I'm asking...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting! Follow me on Twitter @genclever