Thursday, January 8, 2015

Are You the Boss of Me?

I hope I’m my own boss.  The boss is (usually) the person in charge.  Nevertheless, I’m completely unclear as to whether ‘boss’ is a good or bad thing.  Bossy people, according to the inter-webs, are fond of giving orders, domineering, overly authoritative, and even dictatorial.  Yikes!  I don’t want to be that boss.

Image courtesy of scottchan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

‘BOSS’ is also a slang term historically used in America, as well as currently used in parts of England (Liverpool) meaning awesome, cool, neat-o, or anything even remotely good.  Now that’s a ‘boss’ I can get behind!

The word 'boss' comes from the Dutch baas which means “master”.  Ergo the phrase “okay boss” loosely translates to “yes master”, which might be okay if you look cute in a genie costume.  Maybe.  I am however, neither a genie nor an astronaut.  I don’t want that boss.

Bosses are also most certainly bad in video games.  They are what stands between you the gamer and your next level of game play.  On the other hand, if you defeat an in-game boss, or perform any random real-life act reasonably well-ish, then you just may be living your life entirely ‘like a boss’. Check your local Meme or sketch comedy show to find out.

Perhaps I should ‘Act like a Lady and Think like a Boss’, but this begs the question: Who’s the Boss I should act like?

Can I really be my own BOSS boss, or is someone else in fact the bossy boss of me?  I’m asking….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting! Follow me on Twitter @genclever